Special Educational Needs and Disability Information

At Churchfields Junior School, we offer an inclusive learning environment and culture to support all of our pupils make the best possible progress, whatever their needs or abilities. Our guiding principle is one of inclusion.  We treat all children as individuals ensuring that provision is matched to need in order to achieve the highest outcomes.  We aim to provide high quality (quality first) teaching for all our pupils. This includes appropriate differentiation in lessons and identification of any barriers to learning that may hinder progress. Inclusion does not mean treating all pupils equally; it means treating all pupils as individuals and ensuring they have the required provision to achieve the best possible progress.

This page sets out to answer any questions you may have about our ethos and provision for children with special educational needs or a disability.

Click each point to expand into a comprehensive answer.

Teaching and Learning

How is the curriculum matched to each child’s needs?

    • Teachers plan using pupils’ achievement levels, differentiating tasks to ensure progress for every pupil in the classroom.
    • When a pupil has been identified as having special educational needs, the curriculum and the learning environment will be further adapted by the class teacher to reduce barriers to learning and enable them to fully access the curriculum.
    • These adaptations may include strategies suggested by the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and/or external specialists.
    • If it is considered appropriate, pupils may be provided with specialised equipment or resources such as ICT and/or additional adult support. All actions taken by the school will be recorded and shared with parents.
    • We aim to work in partnership with parents to reinforce learning and to share information.

How does our school know if children need extra help?

We know when a pupil needs help if:

  • A pupil is functioning significantly below age expected levels of attainment and makes little progress.
  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, external agencies, teachers, the pupil’s previous school or the pupil themselves.
  • Whole school tracking of attainment outcomes indicates significant lack of expected rate of progress.
  • Observation of the pupil indicates that they have additional needs.
  • A pupil has a disability which impacts on their learning.

All or some of the above may apply and are carefully considered through systems set out in the school policies including SEN and Assessment Policies.

How will the school support a child with SEND?

All pupils will be provided with high quality teaching that is differentiated to meet the needs of all learners. The quality of classroom teaching provided to pupils with SEND is monitored through a number of processes that include:

  1. classroom observation by the senior leadership team, the SENCo, external verifiers,
  2. ongoing assessment of progress made by pupils with SEND,
  3. work sampling and scrutiny of planning to ensure effective matching of work to pupil need,
  4. teacher meetings with the SENCo to provide advice and guidance on meeting the needs of pupils with SEND,
  5. pupil and parent feedback on the quality and effectiveness of interventions provided,
  6. attendance and behaviour records.
  • Pupils with a disability will be provided with reasonable adjustments (such as auxiliary aids and services) to overcome any disadvantage experienced in schools and increase their access to the taught curriculum.
  • All pupils have individual targets set in line with national outcomes . Parents are informed of these via annual reports and also at events such as Parents’ Evenings.
  • Pupils’ attainments are tracked using the whole school tracking system and those failing to make expected levels of progress are identified quickly. These pupils are then discussed  progress meetings that are undertaken between the class/subject teacher and a member of the Senior Leadership team and if appropriate, the pupil themselves.
  • Additional action to increase the rate of progress will be then identified and recorded this will include a review of the impact of the differentiated teaching being provided to the child, and if required, provision to the teacher of additional strategies to further support the success of the pupil.
  • Where it is decided during this early discussion that special educational provision is required to support increased rates of progress, parents will be informed that the school considers their child may require SEN support and their partnership sought in order to improve attainments.


Action relating to SEN support will follow an assess, plan, do and review model: Which is exemplified in the SEN Code of Practice 2014

i) Assess: Data on the pupil held by the school will be collated by the class/subject teacher/SENCo in order to make an accurate assessment of the pupil’s needs. Parents will be invited to this early discussion to support the identification of action to improve outcomes.

ii) Plan: If review of the action taken indicates that “additional to and different from” support will be required, then the views of all involved including the parents and the pupil will be obtained and appropriate evidence-based interventions identified, recorded and implemented by the class/subject teacher with advice from the SENCo.

iii) Do: SEN support will be recorded on a plan that will identify a clear set of expected outcomes, which will include stretching and relevant academic and developmental targets (this may including for young people, targets around preparing for adulthood) that take into account parents’ aspirations for their child. Parents and the pupil will also be consulted on the action they can take to support attainment of the desired outcomes. This will be recorded and a date made for reviewing attainment.

iv) Review: Progress towards these outcomes will be tracked and reviewed termly with the parents and the pupil.

If progress is limited despite the delivery of high quality interventions, advice will always be sought from other agencies regarding strategies to best meet the specific needs of a pupil. This will only be undertaken after parent permission has been obtained and may include referral to:

  1. Local Authority Support Services – including Educational Psychologists
  2. Specialists such as outreach support services (Hatton outreach, Newbridge, New Rush Hall ) and speech and language therapists
  3. Social Care Services – as discussed with parents
  4. Health partners such as School Nurse and Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service



N.B. For a very small percentage of pupils, whose needs are significant and complex and the SEN Support required to meet their cannot reasonably be provided from within the school’s own resources, a request will be made to the local authority to conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs. This may result in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan being provided.

What support will there be for children’s overall well-being?

  • The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils. This includes:
    • An evaluated Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PHSE) curriculum that aims to provide pupils with the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to enhance their emotional and social knowledge and well-being. Please visit our website to see the topics that are included within this area of the curriculum.
    • Pupil and Parent views are sought through parent meetings and informal discussions.
    • Appointments to talk through parental concerns can be made where necessary
    • Lunch time clubs run by pupils or support staff to assist those children who may not be comfortable in a large outdoor environment.
    • Pupils who find outside class times difficult are provided with alternative small group opportunities within the school and action is taken to develop their social interaction skills.
    • The school records all incidents of concerning behaviour in order to identify patterns and trends. The senior leadership meets with parents of any children who persist in challenging or disruptive behaviour.
    • Parents may be sign-posted to support services via the common assessment framework, where appropriate.


Parent helps pupil with reading

Involving Parents

How will I know how well my child is doing?

    • Attainment towards the identified outcomes will be shared with parents through  the annual report and through the school reporting system and Parents’ Evenings.
    • A home-school diary can be a useful tool to support communication between home and school.
    • Parents are encouraged to arrange an appointment to discuss their child’s progress with the class/subject teacher, the SENCo, a member of the senior leadership team at any time when they feel concerned or have information they feel they would like to share that could impact on their child’s progress. Please contact the school office who will arrange this appointment for you. The contact number is 020 8504 4650

How will I be helped to support my child’s learning?

    • Please look at the learning pages on this site. These includes links to websites and resources that we have found useful in supporting parents to help their child learn at home.
    • The class/subject teacher or SENCo may also suggest additional ways of supporting your child’s learning.
    • The school organises a number of parent workshops during the year. These are advertised in the school newsletter and on our website and aim to provide useful opportunities for parents to learn more about how to support your child’s learning.
    • If you would like to support your child’s education and access to learning or feel that you could make valuable suggestions, please contact the SENCo.

Involving Pupils

How will pupils be involved in decisions regarding provision that can better meet their needs?

  • This school uses pupil centred profiles. These are completed by the pupils themselves and identify their abilities and strengths, their personal aims and the action they require to be taken by the school to reduce barriers to learning and enhance social skills.  Information will be reviewed each term and the pupil’s views gained on the effectiveness of the action taken so far to meet their needs.
Pupils running


How would the school prepare/support my child when joining or transferring to a new school?

    • A number of strategies are in place to enable effective pupils’ transition. These include  on entry:
      • A planned introduction programme is delivered in the Summer term to support transfer for pupils starting school in September.
      • Parent/carers are invited to a meeting at the school and are provided with a range of information to support them in enabling their child to settle into the school routine.
      • The SENCo meets with all new parents of pupils who are known to have SEND to allow concerns to be raised and solutions to any perceived challenges to be located prior to entry.
      • If pupils are transferring from another setting, the previous school records will be requested immediately and a meeting set up with parents to identify and discuss additional support.

How will the school prepare my child for transition to the next school?

    • A number of strategies are in place to enable effective pupils’ transition. These include  on entry:
      • A planned introduction programme is delivered in the Summer term to support transition.
        • The transition programme in place for pupils provides a number of opportunities for pupils and parents to meet staff in the new school. These opportunities are further enhanced for pupils with SEND and identified on the website.
        • At the Year 5 Annual Review for children with a EHCP, decisions regarding secondary school choice are discussed and options explored.
        • Parents will be encouraged to consider options for the next phase of education and the school will involve outside agencies, as appropriate, to ensure information provided is comprehensive but accessible.
        • Accompanied visits to other providers may be arranged as appropriate.
        • For pupils transferring to local schools, the SENCos of both schools meet to discuss the needs of pupils with SEN in order to ensure a smooth transition.

        In the Autumn Term

      • Parent/carers are invited to a meeting at the school and are provided with a range of information to support them in enabling their child to settle into the school routine.
      • The SENCo meets with all new parents of pupils who are known to have SEND to allow concerns to be raised and solutions to any perceived challenges to be located prior to entry.
      • If pupils are transferring from another setting, the previous school records will be requested immediately and a meeting set up with parents to identify and reduce any concerns.

Children with Needs

What are special educational needs (SEN) or a disability?

  • At our school we use the definition for SEN and for disability from the SEND Code of Practice (2014). This states:
    • Special Educational Needs: A child or young person has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
    • A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.
    • Special educational provision means educational or training provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age in a mainstream setting in England
    • Disability: Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’.





What are the kinds of special educational needs (SEN) which the school provides for?

  • Children and young people with SEN have different needs, but the general presumption is that all children with SEN but without an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) are welcome to apply for a place at our school, in line with the school admissions policy. If a place is available, we will undertake to use our best endeavours, in partnership with parents, to make the provision required to meet the SEN of pupils at this school.
  • For children with an EHCP, parents have the right to request a particular school and the local authority must comply with that preference and name the school or college in the EHC plan unless:
  1. i) it would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
  2. ii) the attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources.
  • Before making the decision to name our school in a child’s EHCP, the local authority will send the governing body a copy of the EHCP and then consider their comments carefully before a final decision on placement is made.
  • Parents of a child with an EHCP also have the right to seek a place at a special school if they consider that their child’s needs can be better met in specialist provision.

What happens to pupils with medical needs ?

  • Pupils with medical needs will be provided with a detailed Individual Health Care Plan, compiled in partnership with the school nurse and parents and if appropriate, the pupil themselves. In some case this will be an integral part of a statutory Educational Health Care Plan.
  • Staff who volunteer to administer and supervise medications, will complete training overseen by a relevant health care professional such as a school nurse. This training will be recorded in the Health Care Plan
  • All medicine administration procedures adhere to the Department of Education (DfE) guidelines included within Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions (DfE) 2014 and identified in the School Medicine Administration Policy.

How are decisions made about how much support each child will receive?

For pupils with SEN but without a statement of educational need/EHCP, planning  the support provided is led by the Senior Management of the school and the SENCO advising the class teacher/subject teacher. Parents are involved in this through parent meetings as outlined in the SEN policy. Deployment of funds is overseen by the   Governing Body

  • For pupils with a statement of educational need/EHCP, this decision will be reached in agreement with parents when the EHC Plan is being produced or at an annual review of an EHC Plan . The Local Authority administers and delegates the High Needs Funding which resources the EHC Plan.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The school receives funding to respond to the needs of pupils with SEND from a number of sources that includes:
  • A proportion of the funds allocated per pupil to the school to provide for their education called the Age Weighted Pupil Unit.
  • The Notional SEN budget. This is a fund devolved to schools to support them to meet the needs of pupils with SEND.
  • For those pupils with the most complex needs, the school may be allocated additional educational needs funding from the Local Authorities High Needs SEN Funding allocation. This funding is then used to provide the equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities through support that might include:
  • Targeted differentiation to increase access to text (accessible text, IT e.g. read aloud software, different recording strategies, additional time etc.)
  • In class, additional adult support aimed at increasing skills in specific area of weakness (learning behaviours, organisation, etc)
  • Out of class support (relationship building, social, emotional skill development, )
  • Small group tuition to encourage catch up (subject or targeted at additional need)
  • Specific support, advice and guidance is provided to parents and families to improve pupil’s readiness for learning (relating to pupil’s difficulties in attendance, behaviour, physiological and emotional needs etc)
  • Provision of specialist resources or equipment (use of ICT, sloping board, electronic versions of text etc)
  • Partnership working with other settings (shared resources e.g. Parent Liaison Worker; shared expertise: support from local special school and outreach teams to improve inclusion: )
  • Use of specific environments in school such as  work stations, nurture groups, study support centre, sensory rooms.
  • Access to the school nurse and wider health professional support (responding to mental and physical health issues, speech, language and communication needs, motor control and mobility needs)
  • Access to support from in-school sources e.g. learning mentors (peer or adult) or from outside agencies including and charity and community sources (e.g. Youth and Church groups, local businesses) give examples
  • Implementation of strategies from support agencies e.g. Behaviour Support/Educational Welfare Support

In addition:  The Pupil Premium funding provides additional funding for pupils who are claiming Free School Meals, who are in the care of the local authority , or have been adopted from local authority care or whose parents are in the Armed Services. The deployment of this funding is published on the school website.


If parents wish to discuss the options available for their child, they are welcome to make an appointment to see the class/subject teacher, SENCo or a member of the Senior Leadership Team.

How does the school evaluate the effectiveness of the SEN provision made for pupils?

  • The effectiveness of SEN provision will be measured using both qualitative and quantitative data. Qualitative data will gather the views of parents and pupils on how successful the provision has been in enabling them to attain their outcomes. Quantitative data will examine both progress and attainment levels compared to those achieved nationally for pupils with the same level prior learning level. This data will be shared termly with governors and be may be scrutinised by external moderators such as Ofsted.
Boy and girl writing


How accessible is the school environment?

  • Two disabled parking spots marked and located next to the school reception
  • Two medical rooms have been provided in order to enable a safe place for medical examinations and procedures.
  • Two toilets have been adapted to ensure accessibility for pupils, staff and visitors with a disability.
  • There is a wet room and shower.
  • A lift has been provided for children with mobility difficulties.
  • All classrooms are suitable to meet the needs of hearing impaired children.
  • The site is new and fully accessible.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

    • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put into operation to ensure all reasonable adjustments are made so children may participate in all school activities.
    • The school ensures it has sufficient staff expertise and provides appropriate training to ensure that no child with SEND is excluded from any school provided activity as far as the school is reasonably able to.

Specialist Services

What specialist services are available at the school?

The school has access to a range of specialist support these include:

  • Hatton Outreach for children with cognitive difficulties
  • Education Psychologist Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service
  • Newbridge Outreach for children with physical disabilities
  • Roding Hearing Impaired advisory service
  • New Rush Hall behaviour support
  • Joseph Clarke service for visual impairment
  • Occupational Therapy Team

The SENCO will normally contact these agencies and outreach teams via referral. This follows a period of assessment and observation.  A referral is only made if a child fails to make adequate progress following the implementation of a wide range of strategies and interventions.

Training for Staff

What training do the staff supporting children and young people with SEND undertake?

In the last two years school staff have received a range of training at three levels; awareness, enhanced and specialist.

Awareness training has been provided to all staff on:

  • How to support pupils with dyslexia and literacy difficulties.
  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum
  • How to support pupils with behavioural difficulties
  • How to support pupils with speech, language and communication difficulties

Enhanced training has been provided to the SENCo on:

  • Identifying Motor difficulties
  • Dealing with challenging behaviour
  • Handwriting issues
  • Creating outcomes for EHC plans
  • Attendance at the termly SENCo Forum

The SENCO holds qualified teacher status, is an experienced practitioner and has been in education for over 20 years. He has completed the Nationally Accredited Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination  in July 2017

  • The school has regular visits from an LA Educational Psychologist , and SEN specialist teachers which enable them to support the progress of individual pupils.
  • The school receives visits from the Speech and Language Therapist who provides advice on assessing and planning for targeted children . Programmes planned by the therapist are then delivered by a trained Teaching Assistant.

Further Support and Information

What is the Local Authority’s Local Offer and where can it be found?

The Local Offer is a guide to the services in Redbridge that are available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities aged from birth to 25.
To see the Churchfields Junior School aspect of the local offer, then please visit the link below.


Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?

If you wish to discuss your child’s special educational needs or are unhappy about any issues regarding the school’s response to meeting these needs please contact the following:

What support services for parents of pupils with SEN exist?

The Redbridge Information and Advice Support Service (RIASS) offers impartial advice and support to parents and carers of all children and young people with SEND https://find.redbridge.gov.uk/kb5/redbridge/fsd/service.page?id=ksJVHmXNIE8

For parents who are unhappy with the Local Authority or school responses to their child’s SEND, may wish to contact the Local Authority SEN Mediation Service  . Parents may also seek mediation from the regional mediation services.